450g White Sugar
25g Gelatin Powder
15g Liquid Glucose
90g Egg Whites
1tsp Vanilla Extract
As Needed 50% Cornflour and 50% sieved Icing Sugar, for dusting and
1.Gently heat the sugar with the glucose and 200mls of water in a saucepan, stirring till
sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, cover and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Uncover and boil until the temperature reaches 127c/260f, the hard ball stage.
3. Meanwhile, dissolve the gelatin in 100mls water in a bowl placed over a saucepan of hot
water. Pour the gelatin into the syrup. Whisk egg whites till stiff with salt.
4. Pour the syrup into the egg whites in a slow, thin steady stream, whisking constantly.
5. Whisk until the mixture is thick and stiff and add vanilla.
6. Mix well, spread mixture onto cornflour/icing sugar dusted sheet tray or into tin. Dust
more cornflour/icing sugar mixture on top and leave to set over night.
7. Dust with cornflour/icing sugar to handle, cut etc. Dust off excess before serving, store
in an airtight container in a cool dry place.