Lemon Curd & Italian Meringue
10 egg yolks
285g castor sugar
3 lemons finely zested
170g lemon juice strained
260g unsalted butter
1. Boil juice, zest and butter in a pot.
2. Whisk in a bowl yolks with sugar till evenly combined.
3. Pour 1/3 of hot liquid onto eggs and sugar mixture, whisk well till even. Scrap all of this
into the pot.
4. Cook over medium heat, while whisking evenly and scraping corners of pot
continuously till 82c. (I use a digital thermometer). Be carful as you do not want the curd
to catch and burn or turn into ‘sweet lemony scrabbled eggs!’
5. Pour into a bowl which is over a bath of water with ice, once cooled it can be
transferred to a jar or container for storage in the fridge. I like to use it when its had time
to chill over night and extra firm.
450g white sugar
250g egg whites
NOTE: ALL TOOLS USED IN MAKING THIS NEED TO BE SUPER CLEAN AND DRY.
1. Bring to boil water with sugar in a pot over medium heat, cook till 116c to 120c max (I
use a sugar thermometer for this job)
2. In the mean time, while sugar is cooking. Slowly start to whisk egg whites on medium
speed with a pinch of salt in a free standing mixer. Once sugar has reached
temperature take off heat and start to pour gently and slowly down side of bowl while
egg whites are still whipping on medium to high speed a this point.
3. Once all the sugar has been poured in, continue to whip on medium speed till cool, then it is ready to use.